Monday, February 11, 2008

The Political Post

Yeah, I don't usually write about politics. For those of you who'd rather not read about politics please avoid this one.

I think the "a Bush needs a Clinton to pick up after him" is a mildly dangerous way of looking at things in that it turns American presidential politics into a form of Dynasty. The next natural progression would be for Jeb to take over for Hillary and then who, Chelsea? We'll already have gone through 20 years of Bush/Clinton/Bush in the ruling seat (28 if you count Bush Sr.'s time as VP) do we want to make that number higher? If so, when does it stop? My voting life has always seen a Bush or a Clinton in charge and I'm 33, not exactly a spring chicken.

There are times that the Dem/Rep division seems a little Coke/Pepsi as it currently is, this just makes it that much more so. Historically, we're already closer to Dynastic Presidencies than we've seen before so I think it wise to tread a little carefully right now.

Personally, I'm all about the Obama and I really hope he wins the nomination. I think that Reagan was the last president to exude his degree of charisma. It'd be nice to have a president who was able to act as inspiration. We'll see how it plays out.

No comments: