Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Boys Who Rape (Should All Be Destroyed)

Hmmm, I read about this on Pitchfork today. Not what I expected from Raveonettes (well musically it is but lyrically it's not at all). When I think about it, I'm rather amazed that I've never heard a strong anti-rape pop song before. It's quite catchy and very sad at the same time. Does the song belittle the topic? I don't think so, I think that the very real issue of rape should be more in the public eye and I'm OK with a song going out against it. The lyrics are simple but then so are the lyrics of most anti-war or politically based songs. Simplicity, when in alignment with strong melody and beat, is a powerful tool. Rape is still hidden from the public eye and yet it's so frequent and one of the worst things about it is that due to the sexual nature of the crime it makes the victims feel terrible about themselves in a way that robbery or (non-sexual) assault do.

Meanwhile, the art scene signs a petition to get Polanski exonerated. Blech.
OK, apologies for the mini-tirade

No comments: